Strong service orientation includes not only service to the user, but service to our profession, place of employment, and the community at large.
- Vermont State Employees’ Association
- Eastern Transportation Knowledge Network
- Vermont Library Association
- New England Technical Services Librarians
- Goddard College
Vermont State Employees’ Association
I am currently serving as worksite contact and content creator for the VSEA as a figure out what role I can effectively serve in my union.
- My VSEA Benefits Breakdown flyer was an instant success and is currently in use state-wide to generate conversations about the benefits of full union membership.
- I am in the process of developing a series of Quick Facts guides. The first has to do with Chittenden Chapter membership levels.
Eastern Transportation Knowledge Network
Though the Vermont Agency of Transportation doesn’t have a library, I encouraged us to join as an affiliate member to provide a new avenue for VTrans researchers to receive and contribute to regional and national collaboration.
- Updated the Sustainable Transportation LibGuide on Highway and gained national exposure for VTrans TV, our Agency YouTube Channel, by featuring one of our videos on the guide.
Vermont Library Association
I have been a member of VLA continually since 2005 and served on the board in a variety of capacities for a decade.
- Awarded the Green Mountain Award at the 2016 Vermont Library Conference for distinguished service, support, and contributions to Vermont libraries.
- Negotiated joint memberships with the New England Library Association and for students with the American Library Association in Fall 2015.
- Unveiled the best version yet of the VLA website in March 2014 as part of the Ad-Hoc Website Redesign Committee. It was a soft launch but we began receiving unsolicited praise within hours.
- Lobbied to have the Catalogers Roundtable become a section of VLA in 2012 and now Technical Services is a well represented piece of the organization.
- Rebooted the VLA News, our member-only newsletter, in 2011 after a long absence and was the editor for the first two years.
- Continually improving VLA communications, including creating a social networking presence on Facebook in 2009.
- Co-created the Vermont Library Substitute Pool in 2008, providing a means for libraries to find subs and temps from a pool of volunteers.
New England Technical Services Librarians
I was a member of NETSL, a section of the New England Library Association, and served on the board in a variety of capacities, from 2009-2013.
- As past-president in 2013 I raised $2600.00 in sponsorship dollars for the annual conference, the highest amount in the organization’s history to date.
- Served as one of the organizations youngest presidents in 2012.
- During my vice-presidential year I brought communications in house, created a website from the ground up, and got us into social networking on Facebook.
- Created a virtual meeting structure when I was elected to the board in 2009 that replaced most in-person meetings. It has revolutionized the way the board is run and who can participate.
I was a dedicated contributor to the college community at large from when I was hired in 2007 to my departure in January 2016.
- Elected in June 2015 when we ratified our first contract, I served as Unit Chair of the Goddard College Staff Union as well on the Joint Council of UAW 2322. As part of the union organizing team since 2012, I’ve was instrumental in creating and executing positive union campaigns, developing and maintaining member communications, and participating in outside solidarity work.
- After learning about Vermont Health Connect in 2014, I worked with our campus chef to invite a Navigator to talk to the uninsured workers, who were mostly seasonal kitchen staff. All were insured well ahead of the deadline.
- As a techie about campus, I was recruited to work on the college-wide Technology Planning Committee.
- Because of my interest in campus wellness, I was invited to serve on the Human Resources Advisory Committee in 2013, working to enrich the workplace environment and lives of people in the whole college community.
- I was elected to the College Staff Council in 2011 by my peers to serve a two-year term as part of our governance model.