State of Vermont, Agency of Digital Services
IT Business Analyst I
- Entry level business and systems analysis work.
- Elicit, analyze, specify, and validate business needs of stakeholders.
- Interview stakeholders to gather and compile user requirements.
- Champion continuous improvement and seek opportunities to optimize business processes.
- Apply communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to define current processes and develop recommendations for improvement.
- Plan, draft, and produce interdepartmental training materials.
- MMIS Coordination of Benefits Business Improvement – Responsible for activity diagrams, elicitation/validation meeting documentation, business rules, project glossary, problem statements, key performance indicators, and requirements traceability matrix as part of a small team. Approval obtained for Estate Recovery, Casualty Recovery, and End of Month processes. Validating Credit Balance, Waiver Credit Balance, Hospice Patient Share, LAMP MAP, and PDP processes.
- Use Case Guidance and Template – Revising use case guidance and template to leverage best practices and lessons learned in the PMO.
- Business Terms Glossary – Manage common vocabulary for business analysts in AHS project work. Responsible for schedule and agenda for the Business Terms Working Group, maintaining glossary and process documents, communicating changes, and securing sign-off on approved terms.
- Activity Diagram Quality Guidance and Template – Created an activity diagram quality checklist and standard template that leverages best practices in the PMO and Universal Modelling Language standards.
- Department of Mental Health Spreadsheets Improvement Project – Evaluated processes and data for patient tracking from an inherited project. Created process flow diagrams, project glossary, stakeholder identification, subject matter expert kits, data dictionary, and elicitation meetings and notes.
- Universal Request Process Training – Developed training materials for Project Management Office project intake process to teach business analystss across the PMO how to use SharePoint to manage requests.
Design for Learning: 21st Century Online Teaching and Learning Skills for Library Workers (D4L)
April 2016-December 2017
- Planned, drafted, and produced Content Creation training modules with team of three instructional designers at a distance. Public release in the WebJunction Moodle LMS July 2017.
- Provided live training practice sessions for students in use of meeting and presentation software, including Adobe Connect, Talking Communities, Zoom, WebEx Meeting and Event, and Blackboard Collaborate.
- Designed and authored Quick Start Guides for attending, scheduling, and moderating meetings and presentations in Zoom, WebEx Meeting and WebEx Event. Edited and provided feedback on other Quick Start Guides as needed.
- Co-produced video series and resource guides to capture training lessons learned in live practice sessions for future asynchronous students.
- Managed communications and scheduled practice sessions, assisted with discussion forums, and authored Quick Start Guide for the program Moodle LMS.
- Curated the Design for Learning Zotero Group Library from class materials, student and faculty resource sharing, and project social media sites.
State of Vermont, Agency of Transportation
AOT Records Analyst
February 2016-July 2017
- Shared implementation of Agency-wide records management program, including training development and ensuring compliance with state statutes and federal regulations.
- Led four-person records management team on internal projects, assistance to Agency units, and recommended learning opportunities for individual and team growth.
- Directed Agency-wide governance board to manage projects related to the improvement and continual development of OnBase Enterprise Content Management software.
- Assisted Agency employees to schedule their records in accordance with the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration, including identifying domains of activity, inventorying records, writing operational guidance, and monitoring compliance.
- Developed proposals for Agency-wide Records and Information Management initiatives and directed projects approved by the Records and Information Management Board.
- Acted as the Records and Information Manager / Records Officer in their absence.
- Collaborated with records management team to develop Training to Manage Your Unit’s Records, a five part in-person training program to guide units through inventory, analysis, and writing guidance for their Agency copies of record. I taught the first class of 28 trainees to glowing evaluations.
- Instructional designer of Basics of Recordkeeping at VTrans training modules, created as the capstone project in Design for Learning: 21st Century Online Teaching and Learning Skills for Library Workers program using Adobe Captivate. Flagship online training delivered to ~420 employees concluded with a 98.5% completion rate and called one of the finest trainings ever offered at the Agency.
- Directed the FHWA Pilot Project to develop digital records management best practices, design a more functional instance of OnBase, gain FHWA approval for digital reporting, and provide proof of concept documentation to support a live pilot.
- Organized a pro-bono assessment across all business units with vendor team to gauge health of our current OnBase environment and identify opportunities for improvement and growth, providing a roadmap to success for the first time in the Agency’s 15-year history with the software.
- Chief editor for AOT Records Management Fact Book and Annual Report, documenting goals, accomplishments, challenges, and progress of the records management program. Designed using Adobe InDesign. Inaugural issue published and distributed internally April 2016.
- Led Agency to join the Eastern Transportation Knowledge Network, becoming their first affiliate member and providing access to new research resources for engineers.
Goddard College, Eliot D. Pratt Library
Library Systems & Technical Services Librarian
October 2007-January 2016
- Managed all elements of single-person Technical Services department, including copy and original cataloging of all formats, LC classification, repairs, weeding, special collections development and maintenance, assessing donations, and displays. Proficiency with MARC21, AACRII, LC Classification Web, MARCedit, OCLC Connexion Client and developing RDA and NACO authorities work.
- Administered hosted open-source Koha ILS with service vendor Bywater Solutions to solve problems, implement features, streamline workflows, execute developments, write reports, and provide statistics.
- Supervised volunteers and coordinate staff in all collection maintenance projects, including inventory, shifting, weeding, shelving, and shelf-reading.
- Authored library policy and training materials using a combination of MS Office Suite, Google Docs, library websites, and college-wide intranet.
- Long-term temporary reference and instruction librarian, taught new student orientation and research methods workshops. Provided Zotero workshops, advising group orientations, and one-on-one reference sessions as needed.
- Campus librarian at our west coast campus for MFA in Interdisciplinary Arts residencies.
- Webmaster and primary contributor to library websites and social media. Experience with HTML, CSS, and WordPress.
- Resident eBook expert and primary instructor on software, apps, and readers.
- Circulation, acquisitions, technology troubleshooting, and collection development, as needed.
- Trained to become a NACO VT Funnel participant/coordinator to create authority records for the National Authority File. Training completed June 2015.
- Implemented Guide On The Side open-source software to provide interactive information literacy and orientation training modules to better serve our students at a distance. Learn Your Library — Orientation guide replaced current New Student Orientation on-campus in Fall 2015.
- Collaborated with Admissions department in Spring 2015 to transition the main library website into the newly redesigned Goddard College website for the first time. Redesigned the Library and Information Technology website in Fall 2014 with feedback from the full Goddard community. Both improved visibility and accessibility of resources.
- Transitioned to RDA original cataloging during Winter 2014/15.
- Co-authored a collaborative, conversational research methods workshop for arts students with a member of the MFA faculty in Spring 2014. The workshop is regarded by faculty and students as an improvement over previous lecture-based methods.
- Proposed and administered a mobile reference service called Satellite Librarian. The Fall 2013 pilot was so successful it was made a permanent offering of the department and is considered by students, faculty, and academic services to be one of the most exciting new programs college-wide.
- Revamped the new student orientation process in Spring 2013 with our director to create a better flow of information, helping students get what they need when they need it during their residency week.
- Developed a comprehensive graphic novel collection in Fall 2012 and improved the size, quality, location, and process for continued development of the Goddard Authors Special Collection.
- Led movement to replace Refworks citation management software subscription with free, open-source Zotero in Spring 2012, saving the library 5K annually.
- Sourced and implemented migration to an open-source ILS from a proprietary system in Fall 2010, saving the library over 12K annually.
- Planned a complete collection inventory, including weeding of over 20K items plus shifting and shelf-reading. Initial inventory completed Spring 2014. Weeding begun Fall 2015.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, School Information Sciences
Master of Science, Library and Information Science, 2007
Concentration: Information Organization & Knowledge Representation
New School University, Eugene Lang College
Bachelor of Arts, Liberal Arts, 2002
Concentration: Creative Non-Fiction Writing
Courses & Workshops
- Udemy – Unified Modeling Language (UML): The Complete Guide – September 1, 2017 (in progress)
- Bluegrass IIBA – From Waterfall to Agile: A Change in Engagement, Not Result – October 17, 2018
- Bluegrass IIBA – The Value of Adding Business Architecture to Your BA Toolkit – September 19, 2018
- PMI-CV – Persuading the Bear: How to Influence Without Authority – September 11, 2018
- Bluegrass IIBA – The Art of Eliciting Requirements – August 22, 2018
- Bluegrass IIBA – Root Cause Doesn’t Have to Hurt Like a Root Canal! Five Proven Techniques for Understanding Business Needs – April 18, 2018
- PMI-CV – BA and PM Partnership – Keys to Successful Collaboration – March 27, 2018
- CAPS – Performance & Process Improvement Green Belt – August 8-October 12, 2017
- Bridging The Gap – Business Analysis Essentials Master Class – April 10-July 31, 2017
- CAPS – Running Effective Meetings – May 31, 2017
- CAPS – How to Work Well with Difficult People – May 12, 2017
- 3PlayMedia – Usability and Accessibility Have a Conversation: How Accessibility and UI/UX Teams Can Collaborate for More Inclusive Products – May 11, 2017
- VTTC – Lean Facilitation Practice (3 Yellow Belt Classes) – April 25-27, 2017
- CAPS – Emotional Vital Signs: An Introduction to Emotional Intelligence – April 26, 2017
- VTTC – Change Management Fundamentals – April 13, 2017
- VTTC – Lean Green Belt Coaching & Mentoring – April 12, 2017
- SOV ANR – Lean Skills Builder: Workload Management – April 10, 2017
- CAPS – The Basics of Motivational Interviewing – February 23, 2017
- CAPS – Got Challenges? Creative Problem Solving to the Rescue – February 15, 2017
- OLC – Tips for Getting Your Colleagues to Adopt Universal Design for Learning – January 26, 2017
- Design for Learning: 21st Century Online Teaching and Learning Skills for Library Workers – Pilot Project Participant, Cohort 2 – February 2016-December 2016
- UVM Continuing Education – Project Management Professional Certificate – October 7-December 16, 2016
- ACUE – Embracing Diversity in the Classroom – October 31-November 14, 2016
- SLA Taxonomy Division – Leveraging Your Volunteers: SME Review the ASCO Way – October 28, 2016
- ACRL – Exploring Online Student Engagement: Encouraging Active Learning at a Distance – May 4, 2016
- Goddard College – Cultural and Linguistic Competency Training – January 26, 2016
- Vermont Library Conference, 2005-2015, 2018
- Design for Learning Virtual Conference, 2017
- Association of College & Research Libraries New England Virtual Conference, 2012-2015
- New England Technical Services Librarians Annual Spring Conference, 2009-2013, 2015
- Library Technology Unconference, 2013-2014
- New England Library Association Annual Conference, 2008-2013
Linda, Helen R. “Actionable Data: Collecting and Analyzing Information for Maximum Impact.” presenting at the Vermont Library Association Annual Conference, Fairlee, VT, May 18, 2018. (accepted presenter)
Linda, Helen R. “Basic Book Repair.” presenting at the Vermont Library Association Annual Conference, Fairlee, VT, May 18, 2018. (invited presenter)
Linda, Helen R. “Evolution of Basics of Recordkeeping at VTrans.” presented at the Design for Learning Online Conference Series – Second Life Presentation, October 4, 2017. (invited presenter)
Linda, Helen R. “Evolution of Basics of Recordkeeping at VTrans.” presented at the Design for Learning Online Conference Series – Foundation (Instructional Design Plan), May 10, 2017. (invited presenter)
Linda, Helen R. “Basic Book Repair.” presented at the Vermont Library Association Annual Conference, Burlington, VT, May 19, 2015. (accepted speaker)
Linda, Helen R. “How To Effectively Communicate With Techies.” presented at the New England Technical Services Librarians Annual Conference, Worcester, MA, April 10, 2015. (invited speaker)
Linda, Helen R. “How To Talk To Techies.” presented at the Vermont Library Association Annual Conference, Colchester, VT, May 20, 2014. (accepted speaker)
Linda, Helen R. “How To Effectively Communicate with Techies.” presented at the New England Library Association Annual Conference, Portland, ME, October 22, 2013. (invited speaker)
Billey, Amber, Helen R. Linda, Tom McMurdo, and Christine Webb. “RDA Bootcamp.” presented at the Vermont Library Association Annual Conference, Colchester, VT, May 21, 2013. (accepted speaker)
Linda, Helen R. “Koha ILS Demonstration for Kellogg-Hubbard Library Staff.” Goddard College, Plainfield, VT, April 13, 2011. (requested presenter)
Linda, Helen R. “Koha ILS Demonstration for Brown Public Library Staff.” Brown Public Library, Northfield, VT, March 3, 2011. (invited presenter)
Linda, Helen R., and Roche, Michael. “Advocacy Training for Tinney Memorial Library Board of Trustees.” Tinney Memorial Library, Newbury, VT, November 15, 2009. (invited presenter)
Linda, Helen R., Michael Roche, and Barbara Shatara. “Advocacy for Small Libraries.” presented at the Vermont Library Association Annual Conference, So. Burlington, VT, May 12, 2009. (accepted speaker)
Linda, Helen R., and others. “Distance Master of Library Science Program Panel.” presented at the Vermont Library Association Annual Conference, So. Burlington, VT, May 13, 2008. (invited panelist)
- Content Creation Module – Design for Learning – 2017
- Training to Schedule Your Unit’s Records – Vermont Agency of Transportation – 2017
- Basics of Recordkeeping at VTrans – Vermont Agency of Transportation – 2016-2017
- Technology Practice Sessions – Design for Learning – 2016-2017
- Library Skills Lab – Goddard College – 2015-2016
- Demystifying Research – Goddard College – 2014-2015
- New Student Orientation: Learn Your Library – Goddard College – 2014-2015
- How to Use Zotero Citation Management Software Webinar – Goddard College – 2012-2015
- Individual Research Appointments – Goddard College – 2008-2015
- Advising Group Orientations – Goddard College – 2015
- LIS590LWL/LW2 Guest Lecturer – University of Illinois, School of Information Sciences, Discussion Group – 2014
Linda, Helen R., ed. “AOT Records Management 2017 Fact Book and Annual Report.” Vermont Agency of Transportation, March 2017.
Linda, Helen R., ed. “AOT Records Management 2016 Fact Book and Annual Report.” Vermont Agency of Transportation, April 2016.
Linda, Helen R. “Sponsoring Vermont Comic Con and Having a Blast.” VLA News, November 2014.
Linda, Helen R. “National Novel Writing Month, Or: Low Hanging Programming Fruit for Libraries.” VLA News, November 2012.
Linda, Helen R. “Librarians for Diversity, Inclusion, and Having a Swell Time.” VLA News, August 2012.
Linda, Helen R. “A Silver Lining to The Student Loan Situation.” VLA News, May 2012.
Linda, Helen R. “The Vermont 251 Club is for Lovers .” VLA News, November 2011.
Linda, Helen R. “New England Technical Services Librarians – We Blow Minds for Sport.” VLA News, May 2011.
Linda, Helen R. “Comic Cons Are For Librarians, Too.” VLA News, January 2011.
Linda, Helen R., ed. “VLA News.” Vermont Library Association, January 2011 – May 2013.
International Institute of Business Analysts (IIBA)
- Bluegrass Chapter Member, 2017-
- Vermont Meeting Group Coordinator, 2018-
Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Champlain Valley Chapter Member, 2017-
- BA Information Resource Committee Member, 2018-
Vermont State Employees’ Association (VSEA)
- Chittenden Chapter Member, 2017-
- Worksite Contact and Content Creator, 2017-
- Central Vermont Chapter, 2016-2017
- Worksite Contact, 2016-2017
Eastern Transportation Knowledge Network (ETKN)
- VTrans Representative Member, 2016-2017
- LibGuide Committee, 2016-2017
Vermont Library Association (VLA)
- Membership & Outreach Committee, 2009-2016
- Chair, 2013-2016
- Ad-Hoc Website Redesign Committee, 2013-2014
- Ad-Hoc Logo Redesign Committee, 2013
- VLA News Editor, 2011-2013
- Co-Webmaster, 2010-2016
- Technical Services Section (nee Catalogers/Cataloging Roundtable), 2007-2016
- Group revival, co-chair & petitioner to become a section of VLA, 2012-2013
- Website and VTCAT Google Group co-creator, 2011-2012
- Vermont Cataloging Cooperative Wiki creator, 2008
- Health Information Round Table (HIRT), 2013-2015
- Inclusion Committee, 2012-2014
- Conference Committee assistant, 2008-2016
- VLA Travel Wiki creator, 2008
- Government Relations and Intellectual Freedom Committee web toolkits designer, 2007
- Advocacy Committee co-chair, 2005-2008
Goddard College Staff Union (GCSU) (UAW Local 2322)
- Unit Chair, 2015
- Joint Council of UAW Local 2322, 2015
- Organizing Team, 2012-2015
- Human Resources Advisory Committee, 2013-2015
- Staff Council, 2011-2012
- Work Day Supervisor, 2009-2012
Green Mountain Library Consortium (GMLC)
- Vermont Library Substitute Pool co-creator and administrator, 2009-2016
- VOKAL institutional participant, 2008-2016
Vermont NACO Funnel
- Co-Coordinator, 2015
New England Library Association (NELA)
- New England Technical Services Librarians, 2008-2013
- Vice President/President/Past President, 2011-2013
- Corresponding Secretary (now Outreach Officer), 2009-2010
- Executive Board, 2011-2012
- Conference Committee, 2010-2011
- Educational Assistance Committee, 2009-2013
- New England Library Leadership Symposium participant, 2008
- NELA Conference blogger, 2008-2010
American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T)
- LEEP (Distance Student) Liaison, 2005-2006
Honors and Awards
Green Mountain Award, Vermont Library Association, 2016
Beta Phi Mu, International Scholastic Honor Society for Library & Information Science, inducted 2010
New England Library Leadership Symposium, New England Library Association, 2008
Library School Alumni Association Student Award, Library School Alumni Association, 2007